Tuesday 6 November 2012

A November Memory/ Xmas delights

To this day, I can feel the pain I went thru when I had to shift my house to another place. It was in Nov 1994 when I was in my 7th std. I remember sleeping the last night thinking this is my last night and almost in tears. That was the place where I was born,and spent my childhood...Leaving it was a very painful for me and my younger brother who was then 7 years old.. 

When I shifted to my new house, Xmas celebrations with friends in old home were missed terribly. Back in my old house, Xmas celebrations used to start much earlier with my neighbourhood kids and playmates. I  never owned a crib set and every year me and my bro used to spend much time making those small statues and of course every time it was futile.Somehow I managed to make sheep perfectly with plain paddy-field clay whicc were of no use and found its place in the trash eventually. Imagine A nativity scene, only with sheep..!!!


Pomegranate Tree

The first ever Xmas tree was made  by my elder brother in my locality. I still remember , the decorations on that tree were with cigarette packets and Xmas greeting card cut outs which my elder bro beautifully made. The decorations were put on a pomegranate tree in our garden  which never bore fruit until we moved out from there,though it used to blossom once in a  while (Blame on the Kerala Weather).



Nutmeg Tree

But in our new House, which was facing  a paddy field, and with no electricity(it took sometime to get electricity in the new house) me and my brother sulked when Xmas approached.Our main dilemma was , even if we put up a big Xmas tree who is there to see it? as we had just one neighbour's house nearby and acres of Paddy Fields facing our house. But still every year we did put up Xmas decorations on a nutmeg tree .


To be continued :  

2 comments:

  1. Very nice to read abt ur childhood:-).

    I've never seen a nutmeg tree;-o.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Nancy, really... in our area in Kerala there are plenty of them like coconut tree...

    ReplyDelete