Wednesday 20 February 2013

Past Times

Dubai, the place where I live currently is a place which will give you things abundantly which once was a luxury in your life. Almost anything is affordable(the NEED-TO-HAVE's) for a working-middle class family , especially  'CHOCOLATES'  which always was a luxury during my entire childhood.Off late, I was thinking about this phenomenon and I stumbled upon a blog where the author had described the difference between her generation and her offspring's .

For example, take my nieces and nephew,they reside in Abu Dhabi and most of the weekends they pay us a visit .As far as I can remember everytime they come, they will be wearing something new , be it clothes or accessories or shoes. Wherein during my childhood , I used to get new clothes only if there is wedding or an improtant function in the family .And the sheer excitement I used to feel waiting to attend these functions.I fondly remember that my mother would buy me a new dress, new nail-polish and  also the accessories to match my new dress.
But now,whenever I go out randomly I pick up something .Necessary or unnecessary, I just pick up on a sudden impulse. Last week I cleared lots of junk from my wardrobe as well threw some sandals which was slightly broken here and there. 
And about chocolates,its avaialble every nook and corner of Dubai. Earlier eating chocolates was a treat and used to happen once in a while , but not anymore.

The happiness what I used to feel while getting a new dress or while eating an expensive chocolate or while attending a family function is not there anymore. Does it happen as you grow? Or Is Happiness ,the price you pay for these luxuries in life? 

I am introspecting!


2 comments:

  1. Seriously the kids of this generation are a lucky lot...new clothes, good food, gadgets, what not at their fingertips. But it also gets me a lil scared thinking wht troubles are waiting for them in the future.

    And have to agree chocolates are so AVAILABLE here;-(....I always have some in my bag, in my cupboard, in my kitchen shelf, don't ask where else. Whereas in our childhood it was a treat which we savoured:-)).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya Nancy.. We used to get high end chocolates only when some NRI relatives come home , that too may be once in 2 years..

    ReplyDelete